Gregory Wells, K.C.
Mr. Wells is recognized for his expertise in aviation law and related aviation matters including financings and acquisitions and insurance defence, subrogation and product liability matters.
Greg Wells was raised in an agricultural community in southern, Alberta. From 1968 until 1980 he served with and flew in the Canadian military and commercially, including with a major Canadian air carrier. He articled with Vancouver, British Columbia law firms specializing in aviation litigation, corporate and commercial matters.
Mr. Wells has practiced with major law firms in Alberta throughout his career from 1981 to the present. From 1989 to 1992, he was a Counsel to a federal Commission of Inquiry investigating the causes of an airline crash. He conducted much of the counsel work and participated in writing the Inquiry Report to the Government of Canada. He has practiced in association with leading Canadian law firms as a member of national insurance and aviation law groups. Greg appears before all levels of court in Alberta and British Columbia and before federal tribunals.
Mr. Wells has been and is active as a member of public, private and not-for-profit boards.
B.A., 1968, University of Calgary
LL.B., 1979, University of Manitoba
Q.C., 2000, Province of Alberta
British Columbia, 1980
Northwest Territories, 1987
Law Society of Alberta
Law Society of British Columbia
Law Society of Northwest Territories
Canadian Bar Association
Calgary Bar Association
Areas of Practice
Mr. Wells’ areas of practice include:
Insurance, Product Liability and Tribunals
- Defence and subrogation cases for insurers and underwriters in aviation hull losses and aircraft and airport related liability claims
- Air carrier cargo and passenger claims including matters of air carriage conventions and protocols
- Manufacturers in the aerospace, automobile and natural resource industries in products liability matters
Commercial and Energy Litigation
- Liability matters involving contractors, brokers, engineers and architects
- Receivers and trustees in actions arising out of liquidation and receivership matters, including counsel to receivers and trustees of energy corporations in disposing of assets and in resolving ownership rights to properties
- Owners, contractors and sureties in construction litigation, bonding and builders’ lien actions
- Petroleum, natural gas, and mining litigation arising out of production and ownership disputes
Corporate and Commercial
- Complex acquisitions, financings and restructuring relating to air traffic control system, pipelines and manufacturers
- Lending institutions in placing security for agricultural land, commercial property and financing moveable property such as aircraft and heavy equipment
- Debt financing, due diligence review and opinion for financings, advising underwriters in take over matters and dealing with stock exchanges and securities commissions regarding various public corporate matters
- Environmental liability matters and providing opinion regarding liability exposure
- Conveyance of petroleum and natural gas and mining infrastructure and related assets
- Petroleum and natural gas mining asset transfer and sale of properties and providing opinion relating to environmental and land matters
- Transfer of large commercial properties such as commercial buildings and shopping centres